At the southwest corner of the Mojave is the sprawling town of Victorville, a town with a rich Route 66 heritage. Victorville was named for Santa Fe Railroad pioneer Jacob Nash Victor, who drove the first locomotive through the Cajon Pass here in 1885. Once home to Native Americans, the town later became a rest stop for Mormons and missionaries. In 1941 George Air Force Base, now an airport and storage area, brought scores of military families to the area, many of which have stayed on to raise families of their own.
Fodor’s Brooklyn has been awarded silver place for its “welcome” and “timely” approach to the NYC borough.More