- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mt. Whitney towers majestically over this tiny community, which supplied nearby gold- and silver-mining outposts in the 1860s, and for the past century—especially from the 1920s through the ʼ50s—the town has been touched by Hollywood glamour: several hundred movies, TV episodes, and commercials have been filmed here.
Lone Pine at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Mojave Desert
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's