One of the biggest towns along U.S. 395, Bishop has views of the Sierra Nevada and the White and Inyo mountains. First settled by the Northern Paiute Indians, the area was named in 1861 for cattle rancher Samuel Bishop, who established a camp here. Paiute and Shoshone people reside on four reservations in the area.
Bishop at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Mojave Desert
- Cerro Gordo Ghost Town
- Lone Pine
- Manzanar National Historic Site