- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Humber Park Trailhead. Two great hikes begin at this site, the 2.5-mile Devils Slide Trail and the 2.6-mile Ernie Maxwell Scenic Trail. Permits ($5) are needed for both. At top of Fern Valley Rd., Idyllwild, CA, 92549. 951/659–2117. www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sbnf/recarea/?recid=26483.
Pacific Crest Trail. Access the trail at Highway 74, 1 mile east of Highway 371; or via the Fuller Ridge Trail at Black Mountain Road, 15 miles north of Idyllwild. Permits ($5 per day), required for camping and day hikes in the San Jacinto Wilderness, are available online or at the Idyllwild Ranger Station (Pine Crest Ave., off Hwy. 243 951/659–2117). CA. www.fs.usda.gov/sbnf.
More Sports and Outdoors
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's