A barnlike space full of cheerful Mexican tiles and folk-art masks, Picante is a find for anyone seeking good, Cal-Mex food for a song. The masa is freshly ground for the tortillas and tamales (it's fun to watch the tamale maker in action), the salsas are complex, and the flavor combinations are inventive. Try tamales filled with butternut squash and chilies or a simple taco of roasted poblanos and sautéed onions; we challenge you to finish a plate of supernachos. Picante is beloved of Berkeley families with raucous children, as they fit right in to the festival-like atmosphere and are happily distracted by the fountain on the back patio.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
This was a wonderful way to take in the sights of the Western United States. Over 12 days, my friend and I road our motorcycles up Idah... Read more
Another Californian Odyssey – June/July 2014 In the spirit of shanek’s 2010 posting I have decided to post another detai... Read more