- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Point Reyes Lighthouse
Point Reyes Lighthouse Review
In operation since December 1, 1870, this lighthouse is one of the premier attractions of the Point Reyes National Seashore. It occupies the tip of Point Reyes, 22 miles from the Bear Valley Visitor Center, a scenic 45-minute drive over hills scattered with longtime cattle ranches. The lighthouse originally cast a rotating beam lighted by four wicks that burned lard oil. Keeping the wicks lighted and the 6,000-pound Fresnel lens soot-free in Point Reyes's perpetually foggy climate was a constant struggle that reputedly drove the early attendants to alcoholism and insanity. The lighthouse is one of the best spots on the coast for watching gray whales: on both legs of their annual migration, the magnificent animals pass close enough to see with the naked eye. Southern migration peaks in mid-January, and the whales head back north in March; see the slower mothers and calves in late April and early May.
On busy whale-watching weekends (from late December through mid-April), parking at the lighthouse may be restricted. On these days, buses shuttle visitors from the Drakes Beach parking lot to the top of the stairs leading down to the lighthouse (Bus $5, admission free). However you've arrived, consider whether you have it in you to walk down—and up—the 308 steps to the lighthouse. The view from the bottom is worth the effort, but the whales are visible from the cliffs above the lighthouse.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $134 & up -- San Francisco Union Square Hotel, 50% Off BookIt.com
- $113 & up -- San Francisco Hotel w/Breakfast, 45% Off BookIt.com
- $199 -- San Francisco Hotel near Fisherman's Wharf — $199 Courtyard San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf
- $159 & up -- Historic San Francisco 4-Star Hotel, 50% Off — $159 Westin St. Francis
- $118 -- SF: 4-Star Hotel in Fisherman's Wharf — $118 Hotwire.com
Just thought I'd post our trip report from this past weekend at the Big Sur Marathon. Read more
I’m just going to state the nitty-gritty to keep this post short. Read more
Hello, I am trying to drive with 3 friends from Seattle to San Francisco in 2 days. Read more