- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Driving from San Francisco, take I-80 East across the Bay Bridge, then take I-580 to the Grand Avenue exit for Lake Merritt. To reach downtown and the waterfront, take I-980 from I-580 and exit at 12th Street.
By BART, use the Lake Merritt Station for the Oakland Museum and southern Lake Merritt; the Oakland City Center-12th Street Station for downtown, Chinatown, and Old Oakland; and the 19th Street Station for the Paramount Theatre and the north side of Lake Merritt.
By bus, take the AC Transit's C and P lines to get to Piedmont in Oakland. The O bus stops at the edge of Chinatown near downtown Oakland. Once you arrive, be aware of how quickly neighborhoods can change. Walking is safe and advised downtown as well as in the Piedmont and Rockridge areas, but avoid walking west and south of downtown.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe