- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sequoia National Forest and Giant Sequoia National Monument
Sequoia National Forest and Giant Sequoia National Monument Review
Covering 1,139,500 acres, the monument is tucked north of Sequoia National Park between the two sections of Kings Canyon National Park. (The national forest encompasses the monument and both parks, plus more territory.) Of the world's sequoia groves, more than half are in the part of the forest that has been further protected as a national monument. Three National Recreation Trails and a section of the Pacific Crest Trail wind through the landscape. Four streams are designated National Wild and Scenic Rivers; some of the nation's liveliest white water is found on the Forks section of the Kern. Lake Isabella (11,000 acres) is one of the area's largest reservoirs. There's cross-country skiing and snowmobiling in winter, 900 mi of trail for hiking, camping, and picnicking.
Hume Lake. Anglers go for 10- to 12-inch trout on Hume Lake in Sequoia National Forest, also ideal for swimming and boating. Built as a mill pond, the lake supplied water for a flume that floated rough-cut sequoia lumber to the planing mill at Sanger, 54 mi below in the San Joaquin Valley. Hume Lake Rd., 3 mi. south of Rte. 180, 93628.
Hume Lake Forest Service District Office. At the Hume Lake Forest Service District Office, pick up maps and books on the Hume Lake area. It's open weekdays 8-4:30 year-round and Sat. 8-4:30 in summer. 35860 Kings Canyon Scenic Byway [Rte. 180]. 559/338-2251.
- Address: Entrances: Forest Rd. off Generals Hwy. (Rte. 198), 7 mi southeast of Grant Grove; Hume Lake Rd. between Generals Hwy. (Rte. 198) and Kings Canyon Scenic Byway (Rte. 180); Kings Canyon Scenic Byway (Rte. 180) between Grant Grove and Cedar Grove, Sequoia National Park, CA
- Phone: 559/784-1500
- Website: www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia
- Location: Outside the Parks
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $101.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Visalia Hotwire
- Starting Fr $129: Great Visalia Price Save with Hotels.com, $10/night less
- $84.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Visalia — $84 Hotwire
- Book the Super 8 Visalia 3 Nts in Jun Fr $67+/Nt — $67 Expedia
- Save $$ in Visalia: Book Fr $111+/Nt — $111 Save with Hotels.com, $8/night less
Visiting California from Atlanta, I planned an outing for my friend and I, her two kids (11 and 13) and my three kids (12,9,6)
Ferry over Friday morning from Dana Point was a bit rocky but fun.
We arrived Read more
What better way to spend Memorial Day 2013 than head down to the California Science Center in Los Angeles to check out the Space Shuttle Endeavour. Read more
we will be disembarking in Los Angeles from a cruise in January. Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more