Founded in the 1850s as a whaling village, Old San Simeon morphed into an outpost for employees of Hearst Ranch about two decades later. Sebastian's General Store, built in 1852 as a whaling store, was moved by oxen to its present location in 1878. Julia Morgan, William Randolph Hearst's architect, designed some of the village's Mission Revival–style buildings. Sebastian's houses a deli that serves an excellent French dip sandwich (made from Hearst Ranch beef)
and the laid-back tasting room of Hearst Ranch Winery, another delight.
West of Hwy. 1, across from Hearst Castle entrance, San Simeon, California, 93452, United States