- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The only public transportation to this part of town is the bus, so if you don't have a car, take the 30-Stockton to Chestnut and Laguna in the Marina, two blocks south of Fort Mason.
The Marina and the Presidio are great for biking and easily reached along the Embarcadero.
The Presidio, vast and with plenty of free parking, is one area where it pays to have a car. If you're driving to either the Marina or the Presidio, parking isn't too bad—the Palace of Fine Arts and Crissy Field all have free lots.
For those without wheels, the free year-round shuttle PresidiGo, which loops through the Presidio every half hour, is a dream; ride the whole route for a good 45-minute overview. Pick it up at the transit center at Lincoln Boulevard and Graham Street. From 10 to 3 a free shuttle runs from Howard and Main streets downtown to the Presidio (Muni Passport holders can ride this shuttle during commuter hours as well). For a map and schedule, check www.presidio.gov.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe