- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Making the Most of Your Time
You could spend all day museum-hopping in SoMa. Allow two hours to see SFMOMA; if there's a big show on, avoid the line by buying tickets online and arrive early to beat the throngs. An hour each should do it for the Museum of the African Diaspora, the Contemporary Jewish Museum, and the Center for the Arts, less than that for the minor museums.
SoMa after dark is another adventure entirely. More interested in Merlot or megaclubs than Matisse? Start here around 8 pm for dinner, then move on to a bar or dance spot.
Don't be suckered by visions of grand architecture and "important" performing-arts venues in Civic Center. Unless you have tickets to the opera, ballet, or a concert, there's no good reason for you to spend much time here.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $211 & up -- 4.5 Star The Fairmont San Francisco, Save 35% Expedia
- $134 & up -- San Francisco Union Square Hotel, 50% Off BookIt.com
- $128 & up -- San Francisco Hotel w/Breakfast, 45% Off — $128 BookIt.com
- $199 -- San Francisco Hotel near Fisherman's Wharf — $199 Courtyard San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf