The elegant park west of the Pacific Union Club and east of Grace Cathedral occupies the site of a mansion owned by the "Big Four" railroad baron Collis P. Huntington. He died in 1900, the mansion was destroyed in the 1906 fire, and in 1915 his widow—by then married to Huntington's nephew—donated the land to the city for use as a park. The Huntingtons' neighbors, the Crockers, once owned the Fountain of the Tortoises, based on the original in Rome's Piazza Mattei.
The benches around the fountain offer a welcome break after climbing Nob Hill.
Taylor and California Sts., San Francisco, California, 94109, United States