- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Northern California 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Palace Hotel, San Francisco
At a Glance
- gracious service
- close to Union Square
- near BART
- smallish rooms with even smaller baths
- many nearby establishments closed on weekends
- west-facing rooms can be warm and stuffy
Check Rates from our Partners
Palace Hotel, San Francisco Review
"Majestic" is the word that best sums up this landmark hotel, which was the world's largest and most luxurious when it opened in 1875. The Palace Hotel was completely rebuilt after the 1906 earthquake and fire, and the carriage entrance reemerged as the grand Garden Court restaurant. The architectural details that recall a bygone era remain, among them the Austrian crystal chandeliers; the tall, mirrored glass doors; and eight pairs of bronze-filigreed marble columns supporting a magnificent dome ceiling filtering natural light; it's a refined environment ideally suited for the afternoon tea served on weekends and daily during holiday periods. At this writing, rooms were slated to be renovated in late 2013. But the 14-foot ceilings, flat-screen TVs, and marble bathrooms will remain. An indoor lap pool and hot tub, adjacent to the state-of-the-art fitness center, sits beneath a sunny glass-domed ceiling.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hello all! Read more
Long time lurker but only recently joined to get some advice about my up coming Canada trip so thought id share my USA experiance.
4 of us (21-25years old) flew in to LAX mid to late August, picked up Read more
Hello, we're spending spring break in San Diego in a condo on Mission Beach. Read more
· News & Features
Book a night at one of these stylish, independently owned boutique hotels, located near major airports, ... Read more
As 2013 comes to a close, there's no slowing down for the Bay Area's restaurant scene.... Read more
With the cornucopia of cultural and tourism options in San Francisco, a fall weekend will fly by faste... Read more