- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Best Western Hotel California
At a Glance
- reasonably priced
- just a few blocks from Union Square
- somewhat dicey area—especially at night
- smallish dark rooms
- tight baths
Check Rates from our Partners
Best Western Hotel California Review
A highly polished mahogany facade beckons you into the former Savoy Hotel, a 1913 building whose Western-style lobby with yellow-pane windows and oversize red-leather chairs recalls Gold Country hotels. Guests are greeted with a cold tequila shot—a real welcome to California. Traditional and modern comforts abound, including goose-down pillows and puffy featherbeds with 400-thread-count sheets. Suites have parlor rooms with a sofa and chair, a marble-top coffee table, and a large desk. Although all rooms at this Best Western property have been updated with amenities like flat-screen TVs and modern window shutters, they can still feel a bit closed in; small, dated baths and tiny closets add to this sensation. Complimentary afternoon wine and cheese are served in the lobby, and the food at the hotel's Millennium Restaurant is so delicious that it's hard for many to believe that it's vegan (no meat or dairy).
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
AN INTOXICATING BIRTHDAY VISIT TO NAPA
For my Mom’s 49th birthday, my younger twin sisters, Ainsley and Bailey, and I decided to hire a limo and driver for a day tour to Napa. Read more
So this was my first trip to the USA. Read more
Driving from Vegas.... Only have 2 days and 1 night which will be Christmas Eve. We have never been to either park. Which should we try to visit?
We have 2 kids who love the Junior Ranger programs. Any Read more
· News & Features
As 2013 comes to a close, there's no slowing down for the Bay Area's restaurant scene.... Read more
With the cornucopia of cultural and tourism options in San Francisco, a fall weekend will fly by faste... Read more
San Francisco is a food-obsessed city.... Read more