- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Northern California 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Westin St. Francis
At a Glance
- fantastic beds
- prime location
- spacious rooms, some with great views
- some guests comment on the long wait at check-in
- rooms in original building can be small
- glass elevators are not for the faint of heart
Check Rates from our Partners
Westin St. Francis Review
If you love Hollywood lore, Westin St. Francis is the site of many sensational, headline-making scandals (This is where Sara Jane Moore tried to assassinate President Gerald Ford and where singer Al Jolson died playing poker—not to mention the tempest that erupted after a party hosted by Jazz Age comedian Fatty Arbuckle that ended in the death of a aspiring actress); Hollywood fan or not, everyone can appreciate the panache of this grand dame property. The hotel is comprised of the landmark building (Empire-style furnishings, Victorian moldings) and a modern 32-story tower (Asian-inspired lacquered furniture, glass elevators); guests are divided when it comes to the virtues of the modern addition versus the historic building. Adding to the air of upscale sophistication is the cool chic of Michael Mina's classy Bourbon Steak restaurant and a new cocktail lounge, Clock Bar, as well as the venerable Oak Room Restaurant, Chateau Montelena tasting room, and Caruso's café and lounge.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hello all! Read more
Long time lurker but only recently joined to get some advice about my up coming Canada trip so thought id share my USA experiance.
4 of us (21-25years old) flew in to LAX mid to late August, picked up Read more
I'm going alone to LA in just under two weeks and I'm going to spend half my time in Santa Monica then I've been recommended the other half in Huntington Beach. Read more
· News & Features
Book a night at one of these stylish, independently owned boutique hotels, located near major airports, ... Read more
As 2013 comes to a close, there's no slowing down for the Bay Area's restaurant scene.... Read more
With the cornucopia of cultural and tourism options in San Francisco, a fall weekend will fly by faste... Read more