- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
It's a study in fishes at this Pat Kuleto-designed restaurant—from the whimsical décor of jelly-fish chandeliers, fish tiled floors, and kelp-covered columns to the amuse-bouche that arrives on a fish-shaped spoon. Make no mistake, seafood is the thing here: large platters of fruits de mer shucked at the raw bar, scallop carpaccio, and sustainably caught pan-roasted fish, all impeccably overseen by chef Mark Franz since the late 1990s. The white-linen main dining room, a 1920s original with Spanish Gothic influences and a domed hand-painted ceiling, was built as an Elks Lodge. The floor below houses the original pool (still used by the Elks). Do not skip dessert, which almost eclipses the main meal, with delights like the Valrhona carmelina sundae with chocolate-covered pretzels and mini maltballs. If you want to enjoy the surroundings for less, take a seat at the bar and fill up on Drake's Bay oysters and truffled fries (everything on the happy hour menu is $6 from 4:30 until 7pm).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $129* & up -- Premium Economy in Summer to SF, One Way Virgin America
- $194-$234 -- San Francisco Union Square Hotel, 30% Off BookIt.com
- $103 & up -- South San Francisco Bay Hotel w/Parking & Wi-Fi BookIt.com
- $349 & up -- 5-Night Pacific Coast Cruise on Norwegian Norwegian Cruise Line
- $119-$159 -- Weekends at Oakland Hotel by Berkeley, 50% Off — $119-$159 Oakland Marriott City Center
Visiting California from Atlanta, I planned an outing for my friend and I, her two kids (11 and 13) and my three kids (12,9,6)
Ferry over Friday morning from Dana Point was a bit rocky but fun.
We arrived Read more
What better way to spend Memorial Day 2013 than head down to the California Science Center in Los Angeles to check out the Space Shuttle Endeavour. Read more
My dad is super picky with hotels and it looks like either a nice hotel in carmel or monterey is $400 plus or a okay hotel is at least $200-$300.. any recs for a nice, clean , smell free, classy hotel which Read more
· News & Features
The James Beard award winners were just announced this week, so the race is on to try and get a table ... Read more
From a hidden drum circle in Washington DC to awesome sushi in Chicago's Ukrainian neighborhood, we've... Read more
You could go to San Francisco ten times and still not see it all, so we're here to help curate your nex... Read more