- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Northern California 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
At a Glance
- quintessential San Francisco hotel
- destination café
- Victorian flavor
- quiet neighborhood
- spacious rooms
- perfect for a romantic getaway
- you'll need a cab to get downtown, or take the bus or walk 15 minutes
Check Rates from our Partners
Hotel Majestic Review
Built in 1902 as a private residence, this five-story white Edwardian building is the city's oldest continually operating hotel—movie-star sisters Joan Fontaine and Olivia de Havilland, symbols of Old Hollywood royalty, once lived here. Nicolas Cage, his uncle August Coppola, and the crew of Sweet November are among the more contemporary moviemakers who have visited the hotel's elegant lobby, whose graceful decor includes antique chandeliers, plush Victorian chairs, and hundreds of antiquarian French books. Many rooms—which have either hand-painted four-poster or two-poster twin beds—have claw-foot tubs. The hotel, which survived both of San Francisco's major 20th-century earthquakes, is legendary for its friendly ghost, the lovely Butterfly Lounge, and the largest collection of exotic butterflies in Northern California—on display at the café bar, where you can also order light fare.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hello all! Read more
Long time lurker but only recently joined to get some advice about my up coming Canada trip so thought id share my USA experiance.
4 of us (21-25years old) flew in to LAX mid to late August, picked up Read more
Hello, we're spending spring break in San Diego in a condo on Mission Beach. Read more
· News & Features
Book a night at one of these stylish, independently owned boutique hotels, located near major airports, ... Read more
As 2013 comes to a close, there's no slowing down for the Bay Area's restaurant scene.... Read more
With the cornucopia of cultural and tourism options in San Francisco, a fall weekend will fly by faste... Read more