Fodor's Northern California 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guides for FREE!
The legendary Oakland jazz venue's San Francisco location has terrific acoustics, a 9-foot Steinway grand piano (broken in by Chick Corea), and seating for 411; it's been hailed as "simply the best jazz club in the city." Yoshi's serves Japanese food in an adjoining restaurant set in a soaring two-story space, decorated with blond wood and hanging paper lanterns (you can also order food at café tables in the club). And yes, the coupling of sushi and jazz is as elegant as it sounds. Sightlines are good from just about anywhere, including the back balcony. Yoshi's is in the old Fillmore District, which was known as the "Harlem of the West" in its 1940s and '50s heyday. The club is on a tough block in the even tougher Western Addition neighborhood, so take advantage of the valet parking.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
This was a wonderful way to take in the sights of the Western United States. Over 12 days, my friend and I road our motorcycles up Idah... Read more
Another Californian Odyssey – June/July 2014 In the spirit of shanek’s 2010 posting I have decided to post another detai... Read more