- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Northern California 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
At a Glance
- good location
- rich architectural and historic legacy
- opulent lobby
- airport shuttle
- free Wi-Fi
- difficult to find street parking
- area can be dodgy at night
- rooms are not as flashy as the lobby
Check Rates from our Partners
Hotel Whitcomb Review
Built in 1910, this historic hotel was the temporary seat of city government from 1912 to 1915 before becoming a hotel in 1916, and that grand history is reflected in the public spaces: The expansive, well-appointed lobby boasts marble balustrades and columns, carved wooden ceilings, rare Janesero paneling, Austrian crystal chandeliers, Tiffany stained glass, and a ballroom with one of the largest parquet dance floors in the city. Broad halls lead to spacious, constantly refurbished rooms with flat-screen TVs, baths, and new carpeting. Northeast corner suites offer views of Market Street and the gold-encrusted dome of City Hall. Stroll out the front door to find the Civic Center Muni and BART stations and the main public library; the Asian Art Museum, Opera House, Davies Symphony Hall, and Westfield Centre are close by.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hello all! Read more
Long time lurker but only recently joined to get some advice about my up coming Canada trip so thought id share my USA experiance.
4 of us (21-25years old) flew in to LAX mid to late August, picked up Read more
My family and I are going to spend time in California this summer. Read more
· News & Features
Book a night at one of these stylish, independently owned boutique hotels, located near major airports, ... Read more
As 2013 comes to a close, there's no slowing down for the Bay Area's restaurant scene.... Read more
With the cornucopia of cultural and tourism options in San Francisco, a fall weekend will fly by faste... Read more