- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Northern California 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
At a Glance
- decent prices
- decor with character
- helpful staff
- pet beds upon request
- on the edge of a seedy area
- several blocks from Union Square and restaurants
- can be cold in winter (ask for a space heater)
Check Rates from our Partners
Hotel Carlton Review
"International vintage" aptly describes the eclectic collection of textiles, masks, globes, games, maps, postcards, and other ephemera from around the world that decorates this 1927 hotel. The simply furnished rooms, which have ceiling fans and views, are reminiscent of the kind of apartment that would belong to a globe-trotting bohemian aunt. Some of the higher floors enjoy city views. Five blocks from Union Square (complimentary town-car shuttle service is available to the Financial District each morning), two blocks from the California Street cable car, and one block from the eclectic shops and restaurants of Polk Street, the hotel is also on the northern edge of the seedy Civic Center/Tenderloin area. The welcoming lobby boasts a fireplace and daily newspapers, plus enchanting books on everything from astrology to living your destiny; a complimentary glass of wine is served here nightly. The restaurant Saha O ("to your health") serves excellent Arabic fusion cuisine for breakfast and dinner.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hello all! Read more
Long time lurker but only recently joined to get some advice about my up coming Canada trip so thought id share my USA experiance.
4 of us (21-25years old) flew in to LAX mid to late August, picked up Read more
My family and I are going to spend time in California this summer. Read more
· News & Features
Book a night at one of these stylish, independently owned boutique hotels, located near major airports, ... Read more
As 2013 comes to a close, there's no slowing down for the Bay Area's restaurant scene.... Read more
With the cornucopia of cultural and tourism options in San Francisco, a fall weekend will fly by faste... Read more