- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Fairmont San Francisco
At a Glance
- huge bathrooms
- stunning lobby
- great location
- some guests have complained about spotty service
- older rooms can be quite small
- hills can be challenging for those on foot
Check Rates from our Partners
Fairmont San Francisco Review
Dominating the top of Nob Hill like a European palace, the Fairmont has a rich history that includes surviving the 1906 earthquake and hosting the signing of the United Nations Charter in 1945. Architect Julia Morgan's timeless 1907 lobby design includes alabaster walls and gilt-embellished ceilings supported by Corinthian columns. Rooms in the main building are done in conservative color schemes and have high ceilings, fine dark-wood furniture, colorful Chinese porcelain lamps, wonderful beds, flat-screen TVs, and marble bathrooms. Rooms in the Tower are generally larger and have better views. Amenities and special services (including free chicken soup if you're under the weather and a newly crafted Intersect Media Lounge complete with multiplayer Guitar Hero and Wii Golf) keep loyal guests coming back. Don't miss drinks at the recently spiffed up Tonga Room and Hurricane Bar, an over-the-top Tiki lounge that serves blue tropical cocktails with umbrellas.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
AN INTOXICATING BIRTHDAY VISIT TO NAPA
For my Mom’s 49th birthday, my younger twin sisters, Ainsley and Bailey, and I decided to hire a limo and driver for a day tour to Napa. Read more
So this was my first trip to the USA. Read more
Driving from Vegas.... Only have 2 days and 1 night which will be Christmas Eve. We have never been to either park. Which should we try to visit?
We have 2 kids who love the Junior Ranger programs. Any Read more
· News & Features
As 2013 comes to a close, there's no slowing down for the Bay Area's restaurant scene.... Read more
With the cornucopia of cultural and tourism options in San Francisco, a fall weekend will fly by faste... Read more
San Francisco is a food-obsessed city.... Read more