- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Palace of Fine Arts
Palace of Fine Arts Review
At first glance this stunning, rosy rococo palace seems to be from another world, and indeed, it's the sole survivor of the many tinted-plaster structures (a temporary classical city of sorts) built for the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition, the world's fair that celebrated San Francisco's recovery from the 1906 earthquake and fire. The expo buildings originally extended about a mile along the shore. Bernard Maybeck designed this faux-Roman classic beauty, which was reconstructed in concrete and reopened in 1967. A victim of the elements, the Palace required a piece-by-piece renovation that was completed in 2008.
The pseudo-Latin language adorning the Palace's exterior urns continues to stump scholars. The massive columns (each topped with four "weeping maidens"), great rotunda, and swan-filled lagoon have been used in countless fashion layouts, films, and wedding photo shoots. After admiring the lagoon, look across the street to the house at 3460 Baker Street. If the maidens out front look familiar, they should—they're original casts of the lovely "garland ladies" you can see in the Palace's colonnade.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $129* & up -- Premium Economy in Summer to SF, One Way Virgin America
- $194-$234 -- San Francisco Union Square Hotel, 30% Off BookIt.com
- $103 & up -- South San Francisco Bay Hotel w/Parking & Wi-Fi BookIt.com
- $349 & up -- 5-Night Pacific Coast Cruise on Norwegian Norwegian Cruise Line
- $119-$159 -- Weekends at Oakland Hotel by Berkeley, 50% Off — $119-$159 Oakland Marriott City Center
Visiting California from Atlanta, I planned an outing for my friend and I, her two kids (11 and 13) and my three kids (12,9,6)
Ferry over Friday morning from Dana Point was a bit rocky but fun.
We arrived Read more
What better way to spend Memorial Day 2013 than head down to the California Science Center in Los Angeles to check out the Space Shuttle Endeavour. Read more
My dad is super picky with hotels and it looks like either a nice hotel in carmel or monterey is $400 plus or a okay hotel is at least $200-$300.. any recs for a nice, clean , smell free, classy hotel which Read more
· News & Features
The James Beard award winners were just announced this week, so the race is on to try and get a table ... Read more
From a hidden drum circle in Washington DC to awesome sushi in Chicago's Ukrainian neighborhood, we've... Read more
You could go to San Francisco ten times and still not see it all, so we're here to help curate your nex... Read more