- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Steep streets in Pacific Heights make for impressive views and rough walking; unless you're in decent shape, consider taking a car or taxi to this neighborhood.
The only public transit that runs through the area is the bus. For Pacific Heights proper, take the 12-Folsom to its terminus at Van Ness and Pacific avenues and walk west. For shopping on Union Street in Cow Hollow (lower Pacific Heights), catch the 41-Union or the 45-Union bus.
Buses that run to Japantown from downtown include the 2-Clement, 3-Jackson, and the very busy 38-Geary.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $211 & up -- 4.5 Star The Fairmont San Francisco, Save 35% Expedia
- $199 -- San Francisco Hotel near Fisherman's Wharf Courtyard San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf
- $159 & up -- Historic San Francisco 4-Star Hotel, 50% Off — $159 Westin St. Francis
- $118 -- SF: 4-Star Hotel in Fisherman's Wharf — $118 Hotwire.com