- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top 5 Reasons to Go to the Mission District
Bar-hop: Embrace your inner (or not-so-inner) hipster. Start off at Medjool's rare rooftop deck, then move up to the stylish Nihon Whisky Lounge or pull up a chair in pretension-free Truck. Round the night off in the company of the 150+ beers available at the Monk's Kettle.
Chow down on phenomenal, cheap ethnic food: Keen appetites and thin wallets will meet their match here. Just try to decide between deliciously fresh burritos, garlicky falafel, thin-crust pizza, savory crepes, and more.
One-of-a-kind shopping: Barter for buried treasure at 826 Valencia and its Pirate Supply Store, then hop next door and say hello to the giraffe's head at the mad taxidermy-cum-garden store hodgepodge that is Paxton Gate.
Vivid murals: Check out dozens of energetic, colorful public artworks in alleyways and on building exteriors.
Hang out in Dolores Park: Join Mission locals and their dogs on this hilly expanse of green with a glorious view of downtown and, if you're lucky, the Bay Bridge.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe