San Francisco Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Shopping in The Mission
Giant vibrant murals of fields, flowers, and faces decorate building after building here. There is music in the streets, and the sweet smell of baking bread fills the air in the early morning, but at night this is where people come to drink, dance, and celebrate.
Once the artists' hub, today's Mission is quickly gentrifying, as are its shops. Yesterday's thrift and vintage-furniture shops are slowly being replaced by trendy boutiques and gourmet eateries. These changes have created a patchwork of shopping areas instead of one central hub. Some of the best are along Valencia and Mission streets; 16th, 17th, and 24th streets are also good places to shop. Dorima of the Fodor's forums says that "for funky, one-of-a-kind shops, my favorite area is Valencia Street, roughly between 16th and 22nd or so. Little artisanal boutiques selling cool clothing, objets d'art, etc. Plus you are in the 'hot belt' of some of San Francisco's most forward-thinking restaurants."
Books, Books, Books
Dog Eared Books: Used, new, travel, food, fiction, poetry—it's all in here.
Omnivore Books on Food: For those who love to read, cook and eat lovely food.
Modern Times Bookstore: Hosts readings and literary events for all.
Bell Jar: Flowing dresses, rhinestone jewelry, paper, and art. This place is full of gorgeous little things.
Schauplatz: Vintage clothing from the '20s through the '80s, from Chanel suits to go-go boots.
Self Edge: Metal rods full of Japanese selvage denim.
Furniture, Housewares, and Gifts
Monument: Vintage furniture with true style.
Paxton Gate: Earthenware flowerpots, even outdoor artwork are on offer at this unusual shop inspired by nature and science.
Therapy: Retro kitchenware that's quirky and fun.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $211 & up -- 4.5 Star The Fairmont San Francisco, Save 35% Expedia
- $199 -- San Francisco Hotel near Fisherman's Wharf Courtyard San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf
- $159 & up -- Historic San Francisco 4-Star Hotel, 50% Off — $159 Westin St. Francis
- $118 -- SF: 4-Star Hotel in Fisherman's Wharf — $118 Hotwire.com