San Francisco Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Shopping in The Haight
Remembered most for being the epicenter of the '60s Flower Power movement, today's Haight has changed significantly. Incense, music, and musicians still decorate the district, but so do international chains like Starbucks and the Gap.
Locals come to this area for the secondhand clothing and music stores; and there are dozens to choose from. You'll also find one-of-a-kind boutiques that sell funky clothing, toys, instruments, and shoes. Think unusual, big, and fun. The area's laid-back vibe is most definitely represented in the stores, and it's important to take your time in them. Be sure to walk the length and both sides of Upper Haight to get a good feel for the area.
Fodorites agree that this area contrasts sharply with Union Square. As Leely put it, "Union Square has good shopping, but it's not what I'd consider funky. Hayes Valley, the Mission, and that old standby the Haight are all funkier."
Best Time to Go
Monday through Friday late mornings or early afternoons are the most peaceful.
Buffalo Exchange: Fun and fabulous used clothing that's been carefully selected for a second time around. The rails are neatly organized for hassle-free bargain hunting.
Held Over: Pristine clothing from various decades is a hit with vintage shoppers. Here's where '70s suits meet sequin gowns.
John Fluevog: Chunky heels, square toes, and large shiny buckles adorn shoes that are not only well made but also extremely comfortable.
Feeding Your Head
Amoeba Music: Where music, posters, and films collide inside a space the size of a bowling hall. It's easy to spend an entire day here, especially when you factor in time for people-watching.
Bound Together Anarchist Book Collective: A good place to stock up on anarchist theory and literature.
Recycled Records: You thought records were extinct? Think again. Prepare for a vinyl flashback and reunions with classic LPs.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $59* & up -- Fares from 64 U.S. Cities into September, e/w Frontier Airlines
- $211 & up -- 4.5 Star The Fairmont San Francisco, Save 35% Expedia
- $117 & up -- San Francisco Union Square Hotel, 50% Off BookIt.com
- $128 & up -- San Francisco Hotel w/Breakfast, 45% Off — $128 BookIt.com
- $199 -- San Francisco Hotel near Fisherman's Wharf — $199 Courtyard San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf