Whale-Watching in San Francisco
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Between January and April, hundreds of gray whales migrate along the coast; the rest of the year humpback and blue whales feed offshore at the Farallon Islands. The best place to watch them from shore is Point Reyes, in Marin County.
For a better view, head out on a whale-watching trip. Seas around San Francisco can be rough, so pack motion-sickness tablets. You should also dress warmly, wear sunscreen, and pack rain gear and sunglasses; binoculars come in handy, too. Tour companies don't provide meals or snacks, so bring your own lunch and water. Make reservations at least a week in advance. Most trips last a full day.
California Whale Adventures. California Whale Adventures has year-round whale-watching trips ($100), weekends only. In October you can take a great-white-shark tour, and seabird tours run July through October; these tours range between $90 and $150 per person, and are operated on weekends only. All trips leave from Fisherman's Wharf. San Francisco, CA. 650/579-7777 or. www.californiawhaleadventures.com.
The Oceanic Society. The Oceanic Society operates year-round full- and half-day whale-watching excursions ($100) with top-notch guides. Most trips are on weekends, but a few take place on Fridays from December to mid-May. In winter, the group runs half-day trips ($44 on Fridays, $48 on weekends) from Half Moon Bay. Most trips leave from the San Francisco Yacht Harbor, outside the harbormaster's office in the Marina District. 30 Sir Francis Drake Blvd., Ross, CA, 94957. 415/256-9604 or 800/326-7491. www.oceanicsociety.org.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $211 & up -- 4.5 Star The Fairmont San Francisco, Save 35% Expedia
- $134 & up -- San Francisco Union Square Hotel, 50% Off BookIt.com
- $113 & up -- San Francisco Hotel w/Breakfast, 45% Off — $113 BookIt.com
- $199 -- San Francisco Hotel near Fisherman's Wharf — $199 Courtyard San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf
- $159 & up -- Historic San Francisco 4-Star Hotel, 50% Off — $159 Westin St. Francis