Swimming in San Francisco
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Though San Francisco is right on the ocean, swimming in the rough Pacific waters is unsafe due to strong currents and frigid temperatures—it's c-c-cold. Some locals, including kids, do swim in the slightly warmer (but still often only around 50°F) and much calmer waters of the lagoon at Aquatic Park, between the Marina (next to Fort Mason) and Fisherman's Wharf.
San Francisco Recreation & Parks Swimming Pools. The city maintains eight very fine heated indoor pools, some of which are near tourist areas or easily accessible by public transit. San Francisco, CA. 415/831-2747. sfrecpark.org. $5, single swims; $47, 10-swim pass.
Charlie Sava Swimming Pool (19th Ave. & Wawona St., 94116. 415/661-6327.).
North Beach Swimming Pool (651 Lombard St., between Mason and Powell Sts., 94133. 415/391-0407.).
Rossi Swimming Pool (600 Arguello Blvd., at Anza St., 94118. 415/666-7014.).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $211 & up -- 4.5 Star The Fairmont San Francisco, Save 35% Expedia
- $134 & up -- San Francisco Union Square Hotel, 50% Off BookIt.com
- $113 & up -- San Francisco Hotel w/Breakfast, 45% Off — $113 BookIt.com
- $199 -- San Francisco Hotel near Fisherman's Wharf — $199 Courtyard San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf
- $159 & up -- Historic San Francisco 4-Star Hotel, 50% Off — $159 Westin St. Francis