Swimming in San Francisco
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Though San Francisco is right on the ocean, swimming in the rough Pacific waters is unsafe due to strong currents and frigid temperatures—it's c-c-cold. Some locals, including kids, do swim in the slightly warmer (but still often only around 50°F) and much calmer waters of the lagoon at Aquatic Park, between the Marina (next to Fort Mason) and Fisherman's Wharf.
San Francisco Recreation & Parks Swimming Pools. The city maintains eight very fine heated indoor pools, some of which are near tourist areas or easily accessible by public transit. San Francisco, CA. 415/831–2747. sfrecpark.org. $5, single swims; $47, 10-swim pass.
Charlie Sava Swimming Pool (19th Ave. & Wawona St., 94116. 415/661–6327.).
North Beach Swimming Pool (651 Lombard St., between Mason and Powell Sts., 94133. 415/391–0407.).
Rossi Swimming Pool (600 Arguello Blvd., at Anza St., 94118. 415/666–7014.).
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's