Boating and Sailing in San Francisco
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Boating and Sailing
San Francisco Bay has year-round sailing, but tricky currents and strong winds make the bay hazardous for inexperienced navigators. Boat rentals and charters are available throughout the Bay Area and are listed under "Boat Renting" in the Yellow Pages.
Adventure Cat Sailing Charters. Near Fisherman's Wharf, from spring through fall, Adventure Cat takes passengers aboard a 55-foot-long catamaran. The kids can play on the trampoline-like net between the two hulls while you sip drinks on the wind-protected sundeck. A 90-minute bay cruise costs $35; sunset sails with drinks and hors d'oeuvres are $50. Pier 39, Dock J, Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, CA, 94133. 800/498-4228 or 415/777-1630. www.adventurecat.com.
Rendezvous Charters. This operator offers individually ticketed trips on large sailing yachts, including sunset sails ($30) and Sunday brunch cruises on a schooner ($45). Pier 40, South Beach Harbor, Embarcadero, San Francisco, CA, 94107. 415/543-7333. www.rendezvouscharters.com.
Spinnaker Sailing. You can take sailing instruction from Spinnaker or charter a private sailboat with or without a skipper. Pier 40, South Beach Harbor, San Francisco, CA, 94107. 415/543-7333. www.spinnaker-sailing.com.
Both Rendezvous and Spinnaker are south of the Ferry Building on the eastern waterfront, right next to AT&T Park, not next to Pier 39.
SF Bay Adventures. Nautical tours—full-moon sails, great-white-shark tours—are the specialty here, along with local-history ($65) and sunset ($55) cruises. This outfit is based in Sausalito, but some boats depart from San Francisco. 85 Liberty Ship Way, at Marinship Way, Sausalito, CA, 94965. 415/331-0444. www.sfbayadventures.com.
Stow Lake. If you prefer calm freshwater, you can rent rowboats ($14, $19, and $29 per hour), pedal boats ($25 per hour), and electric motorboats ($35 per hour) at Stow Lake in Golden Gate Park. Remember to bring bread for the ducks. The lake is open daily from 10 to 4 for boating, weather permitting. 50 Stow Lake Dr., off John F. Kennedy Dr., Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, CA, 94118. 415/386-2531. www.stowlakeboathouse.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $129* & up -- Premium Economy in Summer to SF, One Way Virgin America
- $194-$234 -- San Francisco Union Square Hotel, 30% Off BookIt.com
- $103 & up -- South San Francisco Bay Hotel w/Parking & Wi-Fi BookIt.com
- $349 & up -- 5-Night Pacific Coast Cruise on Norwegian Norwegian Cruise Line
- $119-$159 -- Weekends at Oakland Hotel by Berkeley, 50% Off — $119-$159 Oakland Marriott City Center