- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
LEGOLAND California Resort
LEGOLAND California Resort Review
The centerpiece of a development that includes resort hotels, a designer discount shopping mall, an aquarium, and a waterpark, LEGOLAND has rides and diversions geared toward kids ages 2 to 12. Bring bathing suits; there are lockers at the entrance and at Pirate Shores. The main events are as follows:
Lost Kingdom Adventure: Armed with a laser blaster, you'll journey through ancient Egyptian ruins in a desert roadster, scoring points as you hit targets.
Star Wars Miniland: Follow the exploits of Yoda, Princess Leia, Obi-Wan, Anakin, R2, Luke, and the denizens of the six Star Wars films. Some kids loop back several times to take it all in.
Miniland U.S.A.: This miniature, animated, interactive collection of U.S. icons was constructed out of 24 million LEGO bricks!
Soak-N-Sail: Hundreds of gallons of water course through 60 interactive features including a pirate shipwreck–theme area. You'll need your swimsuit for this one.
Dragon Coaster: Little kids love this popular indoor/outdoor steel roller coaster that goes through a castle. Don't let the name frighten you—the motif is more humorous than scary.
Volvo Driving School: Kids 6–13 can drive speed-controlled cars (not on rails) on a miniature road; driver's licenses are awarded after the course. Volvo Junior is the pint-sized version for kids 3–5.
The best value is one of the Hopper Tickets that give you one admission to LEGOLAND plus Sea Life Aquarium and/or the LEGOLAND Water Park. These can be used on the same day or on different days. Go midweek to avoid the crowds.
LEGOLAND Hotel: Set to open in May 2013, this is the place to immerse your family in everything LEGO. Family rooms are themed Pirate, Adventure, and Kingdom, with corresponding LEGO-style decor. Each suite has sleeping quarters for up to three kids. The hotel has interactive play areas, a restaurant, bar, and swimming pool but best of all, guests get early admission to the park. For more information, go to w www.legolandtravel.com.
Be sure to try Granny's Apple Fries, Castle Burgers, and Pizza Mania for pizzas and salads. The Market near the entrance has excellent coffee, fresh fruit, and yogurt.
- Address: 1 Legoland Dr., Exit I–5 at Cannon Rd. and follow signs east 1//4 mi Carlsbad, CA 92008 | Map It
- Phone: 760/918–5346
- Cost: LEGOLAND $72 adults, $62 children; parking $12
- Hours: Late May–early Sept. daily (hrs vary), early Sept.–late May closed Tues. and Wed. except holiday weeks. Water Park closed Nov. to spring; check website or call for specifics
- Website: california.legoland.com
- Location: Carlsbad
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
AN INTOXICATING BIRTHDAY VISIT TO NAPA
For my Mom’s 49th birthday, my younger twin sisters, Ainsley and Bailey, and I decided to hire a limo and driver for a day tour to Napa. Read more
So this was my first trip to the USA. Read more
Driving from Vegas.... Only have 2 days and 1 night which will be Christmas Eve. We have never been to either park. Which should we try to visit?
We have 2 kids who love the Junior Ranger programs. Any Read more
· News & Features
You're familiar with California's wine country, sure, but have you experienced beer country? ... Read more
Top Chef star Brian Malarkey, gearing up to open a new hotel restaurant at the trendy Mondrian Los Angeles,... Read more
Dining on garden-fresh veggies and the catch of the day is nothing new in San Diego.... Read more