The main building on this property is an Edwardian-style mansion built in 1908 for sugar baron John D. Spreckels, who once owned much of downtown San Diego. Rooms in the mansion and in the newer motel-style buildings are quaintly furnished; some have patios or balconies. The inn is adjacent to the Coronado harbor and near many restaurants and shops, but it's much smaller and quieter than the Hotel Del, across the street. Tours ($12) of the island's historical buildings
depart from the inn three mornings a week. Refreshments are served daily.