San Diego Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Planning a Day at the Beaches and Bay
A day spent at Mission Bay or the surrounding beaches can be as active or leisurely as you like.
If you want to play in the water, the bay is a great place to kayak, sail, or try some stand-up paddleboarding. If you're into surfing, be sure to check out the waves at Crystal Pier in Pacific Beach. A new kind of surfing experience is available at the Wave House at Belmont Park, where the Flow Rider lets you catch a continuous wave.
If you want to keep active on land, the Bayside Walk and Bike Path is a great place to jog or ride along the bay. Beach Cruiser bike rentals are widely available. For a more leisurely stroll and some people-watching, head to the Mission Beach Boardwalk. At the south end of Mission Beach try your hand at some typically Californian beach volleyball.
If you'd rather take it easy, just find a spot to lay out your towel anywhere along Mission or Pacific beach and soak up the sun. If you tire of the sand, enjoy a picnic at Hospitality Point or enjoy the view from one of the restaurants at Paradise Point Resort and Spa. As the day winds down, the happy-hour crowd is just heating up along Garnet Avenue in Pacific Beach. Alternatively, head to the Bahia Resort Hotel, where you can catch the Bahia Belle for a cruise around the bay.
If you are traveling with kids, a day at SeaWorld should be high on your list. There is plenty of family fun beyond SeaWorld, too. The protected beaches of the bay are popular spots for youngsters. The well-paved, peaceful Bayside Walk and Bike Path winds past picnic tables, grassy areas, and playgrounds, making it an ideal family spot. For a more lively contrast, cross the street to reach the Mission Beach Boardwalk, a classic boardwalk popular with young, hip surfers. At the south end lies Belmont Park, which includes an amusement park, the Wave House, and the Giant Dipper wooden roller coaster.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $154 & up -- San Diego 4-Star Waterfront Resort, 40% Off BookIt.com
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150 Expedia
- $8.56 & up -- Car Rentals across California CarRentals.com
- $140 & up -- San Diego: 4-Star Hotel, Save 50% — $140 Expedia
- $199-$259 -- 4-Star Resort Near San Diego w/Skyline Views — $199-$259 Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa