- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Around Balboa Park and San Diego Zoo
Located just north of downtown, Balboa Park is easily reached from both Interstate 5 and Highway 163. The most spectacular approach is from 6th Avenue over the Cabrillo Bridge. There are also several entrances off Park Boulevard.
Balboa Park is served by public buses, particularly the No. 3, 7, and 120 lines. Taxis can sometimes be found inside the park close to the visitor center, and more often, lined up outside the zoo.
While Balboa Park as a whole is massive, many of its star attractions are located quite close to each other. That being said, exploring the park can lead to a lot of walking, particularly if you throw in a trip to the zoo or take on one of the many hiking trails. The park's free tram service stops at several spots around the park, and can give tired feet a welcome rest at the end of a long day.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's