Whale-Watching Cruises in San Diego
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Whale-watching season peaks in January and February, when thousands of gray whales migrate south to the warm weather, where they give birth to their calves. Head to Cabrillo National Monument's Whale Overlook to see the whales pass through Point Loma. If you want a closer look, charter boats and cruises host whale-watching excursions.
Hornblower Cruises and Events. Yachts take passengers to catch a glimpse of gray whales and perhaps an occasional school of dolphins. Rates are $37 on weekdays and $42 on weekends. 1066 N. Harbor Dr., Embarcadero, San Diego, CA, 92101. 619/686–8700 or 888/467–6256. www.hornblower.com.
San Diego Harbor Excursion. Join one of the twice-daily whale-watching trips during the season. Rates are from $37 during weekdays and $42 on weekends. 1050 N. Harbor Dr., Embarcadero, San Diego, CA, 92101. 619/234–4111 or 800/442–7847. www.flagshipsd.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe