- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
In its heyday, Woodland was among California's wealthiest cities. Established by gold seekers and entrepreneurs, it later became an agricultural gold mine. The legacy of the old land barons can be seen in the restored Victorian and Craftsman architecture downtown; the best examples can be found south of Main Street on College, Elm, 1st, and 2nd streets. Budget cuts have led to extremely reduced hours for the Yolo Historical Museum (www.gibsonhouse.org) and the 1896 Woodland Opera House (www.woodlandoperahouse.org), so the town's undisputed top attraction is the delightful Heidrick Ag History Center.
Woodland at a Glance
Elsewhere in Sacramento and the Gold Country
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe