Sacramento and the Gold Country Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Rush to the past: Marshall Gold Discovery State Park and Hangtown's Gold Bug & Mine conjure up California's mid-19th century boom.
Capital connections: Sedate Sacramento offers enough attractions to engage out-of-towners for a day or two, especially its Capitol, historic Old Sacramento, and dining scene.
Bon appetit: Sacramento is home to the California state fair in July and many ethnic food festivals. Nevada City and environs are known for summer mountain music festivals and Victorian and Cornish winter holiday celebrations.
Vintage calm: With bucolic scenery and friendly tasting rooms, the Shenandoah Valley is the Gold Country's laid-back answer to Napa.
Ups and downs: Calaveras Big Trees State Park is filled with giant sequoias, and Moaning Cavern's main chamber is big enough to hold the Statue of Liberty.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's