Sacramento and the Gold Country Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Rush to the past: Marshall Gold Discovery State Park and Hangtown's Gold Bug & Mine conjure up California's mid-19th century boom.
Capital connections: Sedate Sacramento offers enough attractions to engage out-of-towners for a day or two, especially its Capitol, historic Old Sacramento, and dining scene.
Bon appetit: Sacramento is home to the California state fair in July and many ethnic food festivals. Nevada City and environs are known for summer mountain music festivals and Victorian and Cornish winter holiday celebrations.
Vintage calm: With bucolic scenery and friendly tasting rooms, the Shenandoah Valley is the Gold Country's laid-back answer to Napa.
Ups and downs: Calaveras Big Trees State Park is filled with giant sequoias, and Moaning Cavern's main chamber is big enough to hold the Statue of Liberty.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $155 -- 1-BR Condo at Lake Tahoe Mountain Resort, 50% Off Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe