- Gold Rush Marshall Gold Discovery State Park and Hangtown's Gold Bug & Mine conjure up California's mid-19th century boom.
- State Capital Easygoing Sacramento offers sights like the Capitol and historic Old Sacramento along with a sophisticated dining scene.
- Bon appetit Sacramento is home to the California state fair in July and several ethnic food festivals. Nevada City and environs are known for summer mountain-music festivals and Victorian and Cornish winter-holiday celebrations.
- Wine Tasting With bucolic scenery and friendly tasting rooms, the Gold Country’s Shenandoah Valley has become an acclaimed wine-making region, specializing in Zinfindel.
- Sequoias and Caverns Calaveras Big Trees State Park is filled with giant sequoias, and Moaning Cavern's main chamber is big enough to hold the Statue of Liberty.
FODOR'S GO LIST 2015
The top 25 places we think should be on every traveler's radar this year.More