- Gold Rush Marshall Gold Discovery State Park and Hangtown's Gold Bug & Mine conjure up California's mid-19th century boom.
- State Capital Easygoing Sacramento offers sights like the Capitol and historic Old Sacramento along with a sophisticated dining scene.
- Bon appetit Sacramento is home to the California state fair in July and several ethnic food festivals. Nevada City and environs are known for summer mountain-music festivals and Victorian and Cornish winter-holiday celebrations.
- Wine Tasting With bucolic scenery and friendly tasting rooms, the Gold Country’s Shenandoah Valley has become an acclaimed wine-making region, specializing in Zinfindel.
- Sequoias and Caverns Calaveras Big Trees State Park is filled with giant sequoias, and Moaning Cavern's main chamber is big enough to hold the Statue of Liberty.
Need a break from the big city? View 42-hour itineraries from 13 cities.More