When to Go
When to Go
Campers and hikers flock to the park from mid-June to early September. Crowds disappear in winter, but you'll have to contend with frequent rains and nasty potholes on side roads. Temperatures fluctuate widely throughout the park: the foggy coastal lowland is much cooler than the higher-altitude interior.
The average annual rainfall here is 90 to 100 inches, and during dry summer months thick fog rolling in from the Pacific veils the forests, giving redwoods a large portion of their moisture intake.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book Now & Save! Arcata Fr $59+/Nt Travelocity
- Arcata Savings! Book at Days Inn & Suites Arcata Fr $78+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Arcata for Less: Hotels Fr $68+/Nt — $68 Travelocity
- Arcata Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $63+/Nt — $63 Expedia
- Book Now & Save! Arcata Fr $72+/Nt — $72 Travelocity