Fishing in Redwood National Park
Both deep-sea and freshwater fishing are popular here. Anglers often stake out sections of the Klamath and Smith rivers in their search for salmon and trout. (A single fishing license covers both ocean and river fishing.) Less serious anglers go crabbing and clamming on the coast, but check the tides carefully: rip currents and sneaker waves are deadly.
Outfitter and Expeditions
Coast True Value. This store is a good place to get fishing licenses that are valid for both river and ocean fishing. Both California residents and nonresidents pay a $43.46 annual fee or a $21.86 two-day fee. The store sells fishing gear, bait, and tackle. 900 Northcrest Dr., Crescent City, CA, 95531. 707/464-3535.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Arcata Fr $159+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $20/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Arcata Fr $78+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Arcata for Less: Hotels Fr $64+/Nt — $64 Travelocity
- May deal: Super 8 Motel Fr $63+/Nt — $63 Expedia
- Visit Arcata for Less: Hotels Fr $68+/Nt — $68 Travelocity