- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Cuyamaca and Laguna mountains separate coastal and inland San Diego from the desert. Abundant winter rainfall produces thick oak and pine forests, year-round streams, and sparkling waterfalls here. The mountains were also home to a small gold rush in the 1870s, remnants of which can be seen throughout the region. Wildlife including deer, coyotes, and mountain lions is abundant.
Cuyamaca Mountains at a Glance
Elsewhere in North County and Around
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's