- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Check Rates from our Partners
Although Bardessono bills itself as the "greenest luxury hotel in America," there's nothing spartan about its accommodations. Arranged around four landscaped courtyards, the rooms have luxurious organic bedding, gas fireplaces, and huge bathrooms with walnut floors. The resort has all the high-tech touches you'd expect—speakers for your iPhone, flat-screen TVs, and fancy spa tubs—and a few you wouldn't, like motion sensors that detect when you're gone and adjust the blinds for energy efficiency. Service is smooth, from the valet who takes your car to the folks who staff the 75-foot-long rooftop lap pool, serving food and drinks to those lounging in the cabanas. At the hotel's restaurant, Lucy, chef Victor Scargle uses mostly local ingredients (some of them grown in the hotel's own garden) to concoct a seasonal menu of California fare.
Going for Green
Green is chic at this luxurious, LEED Platinum-certified hotel in the Napa Valley Wine Country. Eco-pioneer Phil Shelburne created the property to blend into the surrounding six-acre landscape, incorporating recycled stone and salvaged orchard walnut wood sourced from within 100 miles. All of the 62 rooms are sleek and modern, with concrete floor tiles and Coyuchi organic linens. The restaurant sources most of its produce locally and grows herbs on-site. What's more, the spa is heated and cooled by an underground geothermal system, and therapists use products from In Fiore, a nascent homeopathic skincare company. There's even an on-site bicycle shop that offers guests complimentary bicycles for the duration of their stays.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $129* & up -- Premium Economy in Summer to LA, One Way Virgin America
- $116 & up -- Anaheim Hotels near Disney, Save 40% BookIt.com
- $72-$96 -- Anaheim Hotel near Disney w/Breakfast, $100 Off BookIt.com
- $349 & up -- 5-Night Pacific Coast Cruise on Norwegian Norwegian Cruise Line
- $8.97 & up -- Car Rentals across California CarRentals.com
Visiting California from Atlanta, I planned an outing for my friend and I, her two kids (11 and 13) and my three kids (12,9,6)
Ferry over Friday morning from Dana Point was a bit rocky but fun.
We arrived Read more
What better way to spend Memorial Day 2013 than head down to the California Science Center in Los Angeles to check out the Space Shuttle Endeavour. Read more
My dad is super picky with hotels and it looks like either a nice hotel in carmel or monterey is $400 plus or a okay hotel is at least $200-$300.. any recs for a nice, clean , smell free, classy hotel which Read more
· News & Features
Niagara Falls is a bucket-list-worthy sight to behold, whether you're ogling it from the Canada side, ... Read more
A sculpture of a Greek goddess welcomes you in from the streets of London's Soho neighborhood.... Read more
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more