Napa and Sonoma Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A Great Drive in Carneros
Starting in the western Carneros on Highway 37, head north along Highway 121, also known as the Carneros Highway. Stop at Ram's Gate Winery for an introduction to the Wine Country high life, 21st-century style, or continue on to Gloria Ferrer Caves and Vineyards for a more traditionally elegant experience. Across the highway from Gloria Ferrer is your next stop, the landscape gardens of CornerStone Sonoma, which also has a café and tasting rooms, shops, and galleries. From here, continue north and then east (at the Highway 116 junction) on Highway 121.
Wineries line the increasingly rolling hills on either side of the highway, and bits of shiny reflective tape, tied to the vines to keep the birds away, flicker in the sunlight. When you see the grand French-style château on your right, turn onto Duhig Road into Domaine Carneros. On the terrace you can order caviar or a cheese plate accompanied by a glass of bubbly. Domaine Carneros also has still wines, as does Cuvaison Estate Wines just across the road; call to make a quick and easy appointment, or return to the Carneros Highway and continue east. At Old Sonoma Road, turn left. After about a third of a mile, turn left again onto Dealy Lane. It changes names to Henry Road before it takes you to Artesa Vineyards & Winery. After your visit, return to the Carneros Highway. For a meal or coffee, backtrack west to the Boon Fly Café or head east to Highway 29, the main thoroughfare through the Napa Valley.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe