- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Kayak Connection. In March, April, and May, participants on this outfit's tours mingle with gray whales and their calves on their northward journey to Alaska. Throughout the year, the company rents kayaks and paddle boards and conducts tours of Natural Bridges State Beach, Capitola, and Elkhorn Slough. Most regularly scheduled tours cost between $20 and $55. Santa Cruz Harbor, 413 Lake Ave. #3, Santa Cruz, CA, 95062. 831/479-1121. www.kayakconnection.com.
Venture Quest Kayaking. Explore hidden coves and kelp forests on guided nature tours that depart from Santa Cruz Wharf or Harbor, depending on the season. A two-hour kayak nature tour and introductory lesson costs $58. A three-hour kayak rental is $30 and includes wet suit and gear. Venture Quest also arranges tours at other Monterey Bay destinations, including Capitola and Elkhorn Slough. #2 Santa Cruz Wharf, Santa Cruz, CA, 95060. 831/427-2267 kayak hotline; 831/425-8445 rental office. www.kayaksantacruz.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book the Hilton Garden Inn Monterey 3 Nts in May Fr $201+/Nt Expedia
- $89.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Monterey Hotwire
- $12.95 & up : Compact rentals in Monterey Hotwire
- 3.5-Star Monterey Marriott Fr $239+/Nt — $239 Save with Hotels.com, $40/night less
- $14.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Monterey — $15 Hotwire