Monterey Bay Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Marine life: Monterey Bay is the location of the world's third-largest marine sanctuary, home to whales, otters, and other underwater creatures.
Getaway central: For more than a century, urbanites have come to the Monterey Bay area to unwind, relax, and have fun. It's a great place to browse unique shops and galleries, ride a giant roller coaster, or play a round of golf on a world-class course.
Nature preserves: More than the sea is protected here—the region boasts nearly 30 state parks, beaches, and preserves, fantastic places for walking, jogging, hiking, and biking.
Wine and dine: The area's rich agricultural bounty translates to abundant fresh produce, great wines, and fabulous dining. It's no wonder more than 300 culinary events take place here every year.
Small-town vibes: Even the cities here are friendly, walkable places where you'll feel like a local.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Special deal: 3.5-Star Casa Munras & Spa Fr $211+/Nt Expedia
- Save $$ in Monterey: Book Fr $269+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $20/night less
- $12.95 & up : Compact rentals in Monterey Hotwire
- Small budget: Book Vagabond Inn Monterey 3 Nts in May Fr $129+/Nt — $129 Expedia
- $14.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Monterey — $15 Hotwire