- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The customary tip rate is 15%-20% for waiters and taxi drivers and 10%-15% for hairdressers and barbers. Bellhops and airport baggage handlers receive $1-$2 per bag; parking valets are usually tipped $1-$2. Bartenders are generally tipped $1 per drink. Hotel maids should generally receive $1-$3 per day of the stay. In upscale establishments, they should receive at least 4% of the room rate before taxes, unless the hotel charges a service fee that includes a gratuity. In restaurants, a handy trick for estimating the tip is to move the decimal point one space and then double that to get 20%.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's