- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Bike Along the Strand. Spend the day on this 22-mile paved path, also known as the South Bay Bike Trail, that stretches from Santa Monica to Rendondo Beach.
Watch the Sun Set Over the Pacific in Malibu. Either cliffside or parked on beach blanket, the view will stay fixed in your mind as a trip highlight.
Spend the Day at Santa Monica Pier. A fun family day or a night out, the pier's appeal is its Ferris wheel, carousel, fair food, and games galore.
Catch the Mellow Vibe in Venice Beach. Stroll along the canals, shop and grab an all-organic lunch on Albert Kinney, or watch tanned locals in tie-dye toting longboards.
Take a Surfing Lesson. The sport is said to have started on Redondo Beach in the early 1900s—learn how to hang 10 from several great schools along the coast.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $294 -- LA Oceanfront Hotel near Santa Monica Pier, 40% Off BookIt.com
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150 Expedia
- $8.87 & up -- Car Rentals across California CarRentals.com
- $165 & up -- The Standard Downtown LA, Save 35% — $165 Expedia
- $189-$209 -- Weekends & Holidays at Beverly Hills Hotel — $189-$209 Residence Inn Beverly Hills