- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Farmers Market and The Grove
Farmers Market and The Grove Review
The saying "Meet me at 3rd and Fairfax" became a standard line for generations of Angelenos who ate, shopped, and spotted the stars who drifted over from the studios for a breath of unpretentious air. Starting back in 1934, when two entrepreneurs persuaded oil magnate E.B. Gilmore to open a vacant field for a bare-bones market, this spot became a humble shop for farmers selling produce out of their trucks. From this seat-of-the-pants situation grew a European-style open-air market and local institution at the corner of 3rd Street and Fairfax Avenue.
Now the market includes 110 stalls and more than 30 restaurants, plus the landmark 1941 Clock Tower. The Grove celebrated its 10th anniversary in 2012, and the outdoor mall, with its pseudo-European facade, cobblestones, marble mosaics, and pavilions has never been more popular or packed, especially on weekends and holidays.
Los Angeles history gets a nod with the electric steel-wheeled Red Car trolley, which shuttles two blocks through the Farmers Market and The Grove. If you hate crowds, try visiting The Grove before noon for the most comfortable shopping experience. By afternoon, it bustles with shoppers and teens hitting the movie theaters and chain stores such as Banana Republic, Crate & Barrel, Barnes & Noble, and J. Crew. Fashionistas find a haven at the Barney's Co-Op store. The parking structure on the east side for The Grove handles the cars by monitoring the number of spaces available as you go up each level, combined with the first hour free and a second hour free if you get your ticket validated, which helps to make parking less of a pain. Surface parking for the Farmers Market is 2 hours free with validation. The Grove really dazzles around Christmas, with an enormous Christmas tree and a nightly faux snowfall until New Year's Day.
- Address: Farmers Market, 6333 W. 3rd St.; The Grove, 189 The Grove Dr., Fairfax District, Los Angeles, CA 90036 | Map It
- Phone: 323/965–9594 Farmers Market; 323/900–8080 The Grove
- Hours: Farmers Market, Mon.–Fri. 9–9, Sat. 9–8, Sun. 10–7; The Grove, Mon.–Thurs. 10–9, Fri.–Sat. 10–10, Sun. 10–8.
- Website: www.farmersmarketla.com; www.thegrovela.com
- Location: Beverly Hills and the Westside
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
AN INTOXICATING BIRTHDAY VISIT TO NAPA
For my Mom’s 49th birthday, my younger twin sisters, Ainsley and Bailey, and I decided to hire a limo and driver for a day tour to Napa. Read more
So this was my first trip to the USA. Read more
We are a family of 4 (2 boys, aged 10 & 8) coming to the US mid-March 2014, for 4wks. Read more
· News & Features
American Airlines and US Airways formally completed their merger this morning, leaving four major players... Read more
Oceania Cruises has got something unique in store: a world cruise that embarks in the summertime instead... Read more
Whether its Spicy Alligator Fritters or Broiled Lobster Maine Lobster that you're after, Carnival's new... Read more