- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Southern California 2014
Farmers Market and The Grove
Farmers Market and The Grove Review
The saying "Meet me at 3rd and Fairfax" became a standard line for generations of Angelenos who ate, shopped, and spotted the stars who drifted over from the studios for a breath of unpretentious air. Starting back in 1934, when two entrepreneurs persuaded oil magnate E.B. Gilmore to open a vacant field for a bare-bones market, this spot became a humble shop for farmers selling produce out of their trucks. From this seat-of-the-pants situation grew a European-style open-air market and local institution at the corner of 3rd Street and Fairfax Avenue.
Now the market includes 110 stalls and more than 30 restaurants, plus the landmark 1941 Clock Tower. The Grove celebrated its 10th anniversary in 2012, and the outdoor mall, with its pseudo-European facade, cobblestones, marble mosaics, and pavilions has never been more popular or packed, especially on weekends and holidays.
Los Angeles history gets a nod with the electric steel-wheeled Red Car trolley, which shuttles two blocks through the Farmers Market and The Grove. If you hate crowds, try visiting The Grove before noon for the most comfortable shopping experience. By afternoon, it bustles with shoppers and teens hitting the movie theaters and chain stores such as Banana Republic, Crate & Barrel, Barnes & Noble, and J. Crew. Fashionistas find a haven at the Barney's Co-Op store. The parking structure on the east side for The Grove handles the cars by monitoring the number of spaces available as you go up each level, combined with the first hour free and a second hour free if you get your ticket validated, which helps to make parking less of a pain. Surface parking for the Farmers Market is 2 hours free with validation. The Grove really dazzles around Christmas, with an enormous Christmas tree and a nightly faux snowfall until New Year's Day.
- Address: Farmers Market, 6333 W. 3rd St.; The Grove, 189 The Grove Dr., Fairfax District, Los Angeles, CA 90036 | Map It
- Phone: 323/965–9594 Farmers Market; 323/900–8080 The Grove
- Hours: Farmers Market, Mon.–Fri. 9–9, Sat. 9–8, Sun. 10–7; The Grove, Mon.–Thurs. 10–9, Fri.–Sat. 10–10, Sun. 10–8.
- Website: www.farmersmarketla.com; www.thegrovela.com
- Location: Beverly Hills and the Westside
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just returned from a very short but very enjoyable trip to San Diego, La Jolla, and Del Mar. Read more
Some up front info:
Dates: March 10-25, 2014
3 nights, Glorietta Bay Inn, Coronado
3 nights Borrego Valley Inn, Borrego Springs
3 nights Embassy Suites, Palm Desert
3 nights Embassy Suites, Read more
Hi, I am very new to this site and the whole idea of posting a message. Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more