- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Farmers Market and The Grove
Farmers Market and The Grove Review
The saying "Meet me at 3rd and Fairfax" became a standard line for generations of Angelenos who ate, shopped, and spotted the stars who drifted over from the studios for a breath of unpretentious air. Starting back in 1934 when two entrepreneurs convinced oil magnate E.B. Gilmore to open a vacant field for a bare-bones market, this spot became a humble shop for farmers selling produce out of their trucks. From this seat-of-the-pants situation grew a European-style open-air market and local institution at the corner of 3rd Street and Fairfax Avenue.
Now the market includes 110 stalls and more than 30 restaurants, plus the landmark 1941 Clock Tower. The Grove celebrated its 10th anniversary in 2012, and the outdoor mall, with its pseudo-European facade, cobblestones, marble mosaics, and pavilions has never been more popular or packed, especially on weekends and holidays.
Los Angeles history gets a nod with the electric steel-wheeled Red Car trolley, which shuttles two blocks through the Farmers Market and The Grove. If you hate crowds, try visiting The Grove before noon for the most comfortable shopping experience. By afternoon, it bustles with shoppers and teens hitting the movie theaters and chain stores such as Banana Republic, Crate & Barrel, Barnes & Noble, and J. Crew. Fashionistas find a haven at the Barney's Co-Op store. The parking structure on the east side for The Grove handles the cars by monitoring the number of spaces available as you go up each level, combined with the first hour free and a second hour free if you get your ticket validated, which helps to make parking less of a pain. Surface parking for the Farmers Market is 2 hours free with validation. The Grove really dazzles around Christmas, with an enormous Christmas tree and a nightly faux snowfall until New Year's Day.
- Address: Farmers Market, 6333 W. 3rd St.; The Grove, 189 The Grove Dr., Fairfax District, Los Angeles, CA, 90036 | Map It
- Phone: 323/965-9594 Farmers Market; 323/900-8080 The Grove
- Hours: Farmers Market weekdays 9--9, Sat. 9--8, Sun. 10--7; The Grove Mon.--Thurs. 10--9, Fri. and Sat. 10--10, Sun. 10--8.
- Website: www.farmersmarketla.com; www.thegrovela.com
- Location: Beverly Hills and the Westside
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $157-$197 -- LA: Suite at 4-Star Hotel w/Rooftop Pool BookIt.com
- $53-$76 -- Anaheim Hotel near Disney w/Breakfast, 70% Off BookIt.com
- $8.56 & up -- Car Rentals across California CarRentals.com
- $165 & up -- The Standard Downtown LA, Save 35% — $165 Expedia
- $189-$209 -- Weekends & Holidays at Beverly Hills Hotel — $189-$209 Residence Inn Beverly Hills
Just thought I'd post our trip report from this past weekend at the Big Sur Marathon. Read more
I’m just going to state the nitty-gritty to keep this post short. Read more
We will both be 22 years old by the time we fly out and have recently completed university. We are coming over to the USA to experience the big cities, the bars, the beaches, the culture Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more