This beachfront property was originally developed in the 1920s by William Randolph Hearst as a palatial private residence and a gathering spot for Hollywood's megastars. In 1947 it was converted into a members-only beach club; the state of California bought and renamed the club in 1959, but it took the earthquake of 2004 for the state to reconceive of the property as a public place. With the help of the Annenberg foundation, it reopened as a community beach house in 2009.
Feel like a millionaire lounging by the pool on one of the beachside chairs, or lunch at the café while enjoying uninterrupted ocean views. The house's Beach–Culture events series includes a variety of classes (yoga, beach volleyball), readings, and exhibits; check the website for the calendar.
415 Pacific Coast Hwy., Los Angeles, California, 90402, United States