- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Southern California 2014
At a Glance
- admirable rehabilitation of deco-styled building now with up-to-date conveniences like soundproofing and iPod docks
- some rooms are tight like cruise-ship quarters
Check Rates from our Partners
Hotel Shangri-La Review
Across from Santa Monica's scenic Palisades Park, the 1939-built, art deco–styled Shangri-La is now in tune with the 21st century. A two-year-long gleaming update has preserved the original brilliant-white, curved facade. Deco accents are a blend of vintage and custom-built features such as casement windows (helpfully soundproofed), maple floors, indirect lighting, nickel-plated hardware, burled-wood cabinets, and polished work spaces. Wall-mounted flat-screen TVs are new, as are the thoroughly modern baths, each outfitted with marble counter, sunken Jacuzzi tub, Euro-style toilet, eco-friendly bath products in biodegradable bottles, and elegant light fixtures. There's a strong nautical theme, and the Pacific Ocean is within view. Salty air and a glamorous seaside vibe pervade the open-air corridors—a unique feature to the hotel. Upper-floor rooms facing west have stunning beach, ocean, and Malibu views.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hello all! Read more
Long time lurker but only recently joined to get some advice about my up coming Canada trip so thought id share my USA experiance.
4 of us (21-25years old) flew in to LAX mid to late August, picked up Read more
Hello, we're spending spring break in San Diego in a condo on Mission Beach. Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more