- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Chemosphere House Review
Shaped like a flying saucer from a 1960s film, the Chemosphere House sits perched high up off Mulholland Drive overlooking the Valley. Designed by the late architect John Lautner, who studied under Frank Lloyd Wright, this house is held together with special glues used at the request of the original owner, who worked with a chemical company.
Now owned by the publisher Benedikt Taschen, the Chemosphere is an awesome sight for architecture fans of the mod era. Directions: go north up Laurel Canyon, east on Mulholland, right on Torreyson Drive. Turn left up the narrow unmarked road where the Chemosphere House sits at the top.
Note that the house is a private residence, but you can get a good view from the adjacent streets—just look for the round domicile floating on stilts in the sky.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
AN INTOXICATING BIRTHDAY VISIT TO NAPA
For my Mom’s 49th birthday, my younger twin sisters, Ainsley and Bailey, and I decided to hire a limo and driver for a day tour to Napa. Read more
So this was my first trip to the USA. Read more
My friends and I from Germany will be traveling to Los Angeles, California, in March and April. However, we will not have a car (too young to rent). We would like to visit Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more